Monday, January 18, 2010

Red Ring Of Death?


I got an Xbox 360 for one reason and one reason only, OBLIVION! An RPG (role playing game) with drop dead graphics and sound effects to boot. I made an awesome character with twenty two levels on him (that’s amazing). Eventually I beat the unbeatable game. Everything was perfect, until disaster struck.
I started playing Gears of War when Cody told me about this rumor going around called the three red rings of death. It supposedly killed you or something. I shrugged it off, like I did with Baby Blue and Bloody Marry; it couldn’t have been real, I mean millions of people have Xbox’s and I haven’t heard about it yet. Yet.

Cody left later that night. I continued playing. Every time I think about it I wonder what would had happened had I not continued playing. Maybe it would just prolong the inevitable or maybe it would have stopped it completely. Either way I did it, there’s no looking back from here on.

My room was dark; the walls flickered with colors from the television screen. The open window brought in a cool night breeze laced with the eerie cries of the lurking night. My heart was racing as my character sprinted from the danger to the safety of a group. Suddenly, right as my heart was at the brink of explosion, my Xbox broke down. Metallic noises, like metal hammering metal and rusty iron nails sliding down a chalkboard, filled my room. I was about to shout, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw it. Red light now flooded my room and shadows of trees danced on my wall with a solemn beauty; my trusted Xbox had crossed to the dark-side.

I quickly evacuated my room wondering if the chick from The Ring was going to crawl out of my television. After semi-regaining my sanity, I bravely walked back into the fray. Alas it was no hallucination, my Xbox was still possessed. Taking great caution I stepped lightly toward the danger.

I unplugged it with a heavy heart, the red rings didn’t kill you; it was worse then that. They killed your 360. After a paranoid night I woke and told my dad expecting to be blamed for the monstrosity, but I was relieved to see he was completely cool about it. It had a warranty. I could always get a new Xbox. But sadly along with my 360 died the many saved characters, and to this day I remember their bravery on the front line of an ongoing virtual battle. The battle of good, and evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment